Most mornings, breakfast for me is simply Keto Coffee! But on the weekends, when I get to sleep in and not have to run out of the house super early, I like to get a bit more creative. On my last trip to the USA (about 3 weeks ago), I picked up the well-known Trader Joes Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning. Little to say, yes I have been putting it on everything. That seasoning is just divine! Also, Everything Bagels have always been my favorite and go-to if I were to ever have a bagel. Unfortunately, bagels are far from Keto… until now! I was having a taste for a bagel and found this recipe via Pinterest (I mean that app/website is just AMAZING!). So, a big shout out to Peace, Love & Low Carb for the base of this recipe!
The bagels are made from Fathead dough, which consists of mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond flour and eggs. Or in this case, because I didn’t have enough cream cheese, also mascarpone. It might sound a bit out of the ordinary, but trust me they come out and taste oh-so-nice. The evidence: the fact that my boyfriend, who usually isn’t too keen on alternative doughs, even found them VERY good. So, that’s a win for me! Plus, the macros are killer.
Keto Everything Bagel
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Yellow Onion minced
- 3 Eggs
- 3 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 3 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Mascarpone
- 1-3 tbsp Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, onion, and dried Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined. Add in 2 eggs and mix.
3. Fork whisk remaining egg in a small bowl and set aside. This will be the egg wash.
4. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, and mascarpone. Microwave for 1 min and 30 secs. Remove from microwave and stir to combine. Return to microwave for 1 additional minute. Mix until well combined
5. Add the almond flour mixture to the cheese mixture. Knead the dough with hands until well combined. If the dough gets too unworkable, simply put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften and continue kneading.
6. Divide the dough into 6 balls. Gently press your finger into the middle of each ball creating a hole. Stretch the hole in the center to form it into a bagel shape.
7. Brush the top of each bagel with the egg wash. Top each bagel with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
8. Bake for 12-14 min or until golden brown.